Practice Proper Fireworks Safety This Summer
This month, Del Rio & Carichoff, Sacramento Accident and Personal Injury attorneys, are observing National Safety Month by helping to spread awareness about some common dangers in our homes, on our roads, and in our communities. This week, we would like to focus on proper safety tips and techniques for handling and enjoying fireworks as we approach major summer holidays.
Summer is a time for celebration in California and throughout the US. Between May and September, we honor our Service Members during Memorial Day, the birth of our Nation during Independence Day and our own independence during Labor Day. All of these occasions are ample cause to celebrate, but it is important to remember to observe these occasions safely and respectfully.
Unfortunately, every year we see far too many examples of individuals who are seriously injured, or worse, while engaging in celebration. One of the biggest culprits of these types of injuries are fireworks. In fact, just this week a 42-year-old Sacramento man was taken to a local hospital after suffering severe burns on his arms, face and chest. These injuries were caused by an explosion of homemade fireworks in his garage. These types of accidents occur far too frequently in California, and around the country, every year.
Fireworks can be a fun and memorable way to honor the observance of a holiday or special occasion. Whether it is sparklers in your back yard, or observing a professional display, fireworks can be fun for young and old alike.
• In 2013,
fireworks-related injuries increased by 30% nationwide compared to the previous year.
• Eight people were killed in fireworks-related accidents in 2013, and another 11,400 were injured.
• 65% of fireworks related injuries in 2013, or roughly 7,400 incidents, occurred in the 30 days surrounding July 4th
• Tragically, young children are at highest risk to be injured by fireworks. Children ages 5 and under experienced a higher estimated injury rate per-capita than any other age group.
• In 2013, sparklers and bottle rockets accounted for more than 40% of all fireworks injuries.
Considering the high numbers of Americans injured in fireworks-related accidents every year, it is crucially important to practice proper fireworks safety if you are planning on incorporating these devices at your next party, event or gathering. Here are some important safety tips to keep in mind this summer:
• Obey all local laws regarding the proper use and sale of fireworks.
For a full description of all of California's fireworks laws and statutes,
• ALWAYS have a responsible, sober adult supervising all fireworks-related activities. These devices are extremely dangerous and can lead to severe burns, loss of limbs and even blindness if not utilized in a safe and proper fashion.
• Always have a bucket of water nearby to prevent fires.
• Use fireworks outdoors and in a clear area, and always keep them aimed away from buildings and other people.
Del Rio & Carichoff, Sacramento personal Injury law firm, reminds you to be safe while celebrating this summer. We want to help ensure that all Californians can exercise their right to safely and responsibly enjoy themselves during all major holidays.
Our Sacramento, California Personal Injury attorneys represent victims injured in all types of accidents that were caused through no fault of their own. If you or a loved one has been injured due to the negligence of another, you will need an experienced legal team by your side.
Call Del Rio & Carichoff todayto speak with one of our dedicated, compassionate California Personal Injury lawyers for FREE.
At Del Rio & Carichoff, you will never pay an attorney's fee unless we achieve a recovery for you. At Del Rio & Carichoff, we don't get paid until you do. It's that simple.